Membership allows the merchant to assign registered members into different membership tiers and creates exclusive benefits for members. This serves as an incentive for customers to engage in membership campaigns and helps to acquire new customers. It also helps to retain existing customers by providing special offers, and thus increases customer loyalty.
- Create membership tiers
- Execute the activation of membership upgrade check
- How does auto-upgrade/downgrade/extension work?
- Read more
1. Create membership tiers
Premium plan merchants can setup at most 3 membership tiers; O2O/ Enterprise plan merchants can setup at most 5 membership tiers.
Step 1. Go to membership tiers settings
In the SHOPLINE Admin, go to [Customers Management] > [Membership Tier]. Click Add to create a new membership tier.
Step 2. Fill in membership tier name
First, please type in your desired names for the membership tier, e.g. Bronze Membership.
Step 3. Set membership upgrade condition
You can set up a condition for customers to fulfill in order to be upgraded to the membership tier.
Upgrade condition include:
- Single purchase with the total spent a certain amount e.g. Upgrade to bronze membership with a single purchase of $1000 or more.
- Purchase within a specific period with a certain amount e.g. Upgrade to bronze membership with a total spend of $1000 or more within 3 months.
Step 4. Set membership valid period and extension settings
Membership valid period can be set as Never Expires or Set valid period (1-month minimum).
e.g. Membership has one-year validity, i.e. 12 months.
If the membership valid period is set as "never expires", it is not required to set membership extension condition.
If there is a valid period, you will need to set up the extension requirement. For extension, the condition offered is the same as membership upgrade settings: by single purchase or total spend during the membership valid period.
- The order amount for upgrading the membership will not be calculated into the spend amount for the membership extension. In other words, the required amount of extension will be calculated from 0 after being upgraded to a member tier.
- After the membership is extended, the previous spending on the day for extending the membership cannot be included in the accumulated spend amount for the next membership tier upgrade. That is, the cumulative total spend starts from 0 after the extension.
Step 5. Set membership offer for membership tier
Merchants can set an exclusive storewide discount for the membership tier. Basic members are not entitled to storewide discount settings.
For example, bronze members are entitled to 10%OFF storewide.
- This discount will be automatically applied at checkout after the member logins into their account.
- When an order can meet the conditions of 1) Membership offer (storewide discount) + 2) Membership promotion campaign at the same time, the system will automatically apply for the discount that can benefit the member the most.
Step 6. Set up birthday credit, order reward credit, and earn points
Merchants can set exclusive store credits and point rules for the membership tier.
A. Birthday credit
Switch on the toggle button to enable the feature. You can set the amount and validity period of the birthday credit. Click here to learn more about birthday credits.
B. Order reward credit
Switch on the toggle button to enable the feature. You can set the purchase condition, amount, and validity period of the order reward credit. Click here to learn more about birthday credits.
C. Earn points
Switch on the toggle button to enable the feature. You can set the rule of the earn points. For instance, earn 1 point per $10. The member will earn 100 points when they purchase $1000. Click here to learn more about the shop-wide earn points feature.
Remember to click Add to save the changes.
- Customers have to register for a basic membership account in order to level up to different Membership Tiers.
- Registered members that don't have a tier will be considered basic members, and there is no exclusive membership offer set up for basic members.
- The system will only check if the order status is "Not Cancelled" and the payment status is "Paid". If a member requests to cancel the order after placing the order and therefore is not eligible for the upgrade, the merchant will have to manually adjust the membership tier for the customer.
- When setting the membership tier, please make sure that the sequence of the membership tier is correct.
- The system will approve the customers in the list according to the membership tier you set and then proceed to the next level. (For more details, please refer to Edit and Reassign Membership Tier)
2. Execute the activation of membership upgrade check
After you have completed adding a new membership tier, you will have to activate a membership upgrade check for all customers and choose whether or not to include the customer's current total spend in the upgrade threshold.
If you choose to include it in the upgrade threshold, the system will determine the current total spend of all members and the upgrade threshold set by the merchant, and upgrade the eligible members directly; if not, the total spend of all members will start to accrue from the orders placed after the activation until the member qualifies for the upgrade.
Go to SHOPLINE Admin > [Customer Management] > [Membership tier] then click the Activate button.
After verifying the membership tier information, click Confirm and choose whether to include current customer total spend into the calculation of upgrade condition
- After completing the activation, you can go to Report & Analytics >> Bulk Action Process to check the status of the process.
- This feature will only be visible to merchants that have created membership tiers after 27 August 2020.
- This step is necessary and can only be implemented once, please make sure the settings of the membership tier are correct before running the check!
- After implementing the activation, the system will automatically check for members who have reached the upgrade threshold in the early hours of the day.
- If you haven't set your membership tier yet, you will not be able to activate the "Customers can view membership upgrade reminder" feature (from [Settings] > [Customer Settings]), so please set your membership tier first, and then go to Customer Settings to enable the feature.
- Execution rights are limited to administrators who are authorized to add and edit the membership tier.
If you choose to include current spending totals when calculating eligibility for a new membership tier, you will be given the option of sending customers a notification by email and/or SMS. Also can click "Preview" to check the content before sending it out.
*Note: Sending an SMS will incur a monthly charge, max. of 160 English characters or a mix of 70 English and Chinese characters are allowed per SMS.
- [Send Email] This will send an email notification to qualifying customers that have supplied an email address
- [Send SMS] This will send an SMS notification to qualifying customers that have supplied a phone number. Please go to the Admin > [Settings] > [Custom Notification] to enable/disable the SMS feature. For details of the feature please read Custom Notification.
3. How does auto-upgrade/downgrade/extension work?
The system will automatically update your customer list daily at midnight (GMT+8), the action of tiering depends on your membership settings.
The system will check on the following conditions:
- Check whether the member reaches the conditions for membership upgrade/extension: The system will run through all the orders which have their payment status as PAID. If the PAID amounts have reached the threshold, the member will be upgraded/extended.
- Check whether existing memberships reach expiry date: if YES, the system will run through and see if the account fulfills extension requirements or will be further downgraded.
*Note: [Coming Soon] Supports manual input members' store spending mount on Smart OMO. The membership will be upgraded or extended if the amount reaches the amount set in the upgrade/extension conditions. Please refer to this article for details.
A. Upgrade condition calculation time
Membership Upgrade Condition: Purchase within specific period
When the payment status of the customer's order is updated to "Paid", the system will capture the order within the specified period (N~N-1 days) to determine whether the amount meets the upgrade condition.
For example, if you set "Spend $3000 in 12 months" for the upgrade condition. If the member created an order and paid on 25 August 2020, in the early morning of 26 August, the system would back-calculate to check the spend amount from 26 August 2019 to 25 August 2020 to confirm whether the member has met the upgrade condition. If the condition is met, the system would upgrade the membership in the early morning of 26 August 2020.
Membership Upgrade Condition: Single purchase
When the payment status of a customer's order is updated to "Paid", the system determines whether the upgrade condition is met according to the customer's single "Paid + non-cancelled" order amount. However, if that order has already been used for a membership upgrade, it cannot be used repeatedly.
For example, if you set "Spend $3000 in Single Purchase" for the upgrade condition. If the member created an order and paid on 25 August 2020, in the early morning of 26 August, the system would confirm whether the total amount of the order reaches the upgrade condition ($3,000). If the condition is met, the system would upgrade the membership in the early morning of 26 August 2020.
B. Extension condition calculation time
It is calculated according to the month set by the merchant, and the date for back-calculate to is N~N-1 days.
For example, you set "Spending over $2000 in 12 months" to extend the membership. Assuming that the customer membership expired on 10 October 2020, in the early morning of 11 October 2020, the system would back-calculate to check the spent amount from 11 October 2019 to 10 October 2020 has met the condition for the extension.
C. Membership expiry time
It is calculated according to the month set by the merchant, and the expiry is N~N-1 days.
For example, you set a membership period of 12 months, and the member upgrades in the early morning of January 1 2020. The membership period will be January 1 2020 - 31 December 2020. The system will check again in the early morning of January 1 2021 to see if the member has reached the extension condition and determine if their membership should be renewed or downgraded. Assuming that the member is upgraded on 15 May 2020, the membership period will be 15 May 2020 - 14 May 2021.
Please refer to the FAQs for setting member discounts: