Facebook recommends verifying your business as a security measure and to ensure trust between you and your customers. Having your business verified by Facebook involves both business verification and domain verification. Verification demonstrates that your business is authentic by providing proof of ownership, and is also needed if you want to apply for Instagram Shopping.
*Please note: Support for Facebook Pixel is only available for unique domain names. Support is not provided for use with a free SHOPLINE domain name. In addition, if the 301 redirect for your domain is not set as your store’s URL, please verify your domain with your web host using DNS verification and the TXT record provided by Facebook.
This article will cover the following:
1. Facebook domain verification
Step 1. Log in to Facebook Business Manager
Facebook Business Manager is a platform for managing Facebook assets and permissions. In order to verify a Facebook domain, you will first need log in to the platform using your store's account information. If you do not yet have, or have not yet set up Facebook Business Manager, please follow the steps in this article.
Step 2. Install Facebook Business Extension (FBE)
In SHOPLINE Admin, go to [Marketing & Tracker] > [Marketing]. Click on the [Install] button next to “Facebook Business Extension”.
*Please note: If you have not yet completed the verification process, a message that says "Verification error, please re-verify" will appear in gray.
Follow the steps outlined in the Facebook Business Extension FAQ to complete the installation. Once you completed the setup, click on [Done] in the final window to finish installing FBE.
After FBE has been successfully installed, a confirmation message will appear in the top right-hand side in SHOPLINE Admin.
*Please note: Each Facebook Business account can only be used to verify one domain.
Step 4. Check verification meta tag
In SHOPLINE Admin, go to [Settings] > [Basic Settings]. If FBE has been successfully installed, the Facebook Domain Verification meta tag will already have been pasted into the corresponding field of the "Third Party Domain Tools" section. It is not possible to edit the meta tag data directly. Merchants must uninstall FBE in order to edit the meta tag data manually.
Step 5: Complete verification
Return to Facebook Business Manager. Go to [Settings] > [Business settings] > [Brand safety] > [Domains]. A green status indicator reading “Verified” will be appear next to the domain name.
2. Unlinking a Facebook Account
Unlinking a previously linked Facebook Account will also uninstall FBE at the same time.
Go to [Marketing & Tracker] > [Marketing]. Click on the [Disconnect] button next to “Facebook Business Extension'', then click on [OK] in the popup window.
Any previously verified domains will also be unlinked at this time.
In SHOPLINE Admin, go to [Settings] > [Basic Settings] and scroll down to “Third Party Domain Tools.” The now-verified verification meta tag for "Facebook" will be grayed out and you will not be able to edit this field.
3. Problems verifying a domain
Verification may not be possible in some of the situations below:
- Multiple Facebook Business Manager accounts: As each account can only be used once to verify a domain, if you are currently logged in to Facebook Business Manager using an account that is different from the one used to install FBE then you will not be able to verify your domain.
- Updated domain name: If you have updated your domain name then you will need to repeat the verification process, or uninstall FBE.
- Non-HTML verification method: If you have already verified a domain using a DNS-based method, the status of the verification in SHOPLINE Admin will stay as unverified. For the actual status of the verification, please check the current status of your domain in Facebook Business Manager.
- If you have already installed FBE and are still unable to verify a domain, click on the [Edit Assets] button, or unlink then reinstall FBE.
- FBE only supports the use of HTML meta tag-based verification: If you have already verified a domain using a DNS-based method, the status of the verification in SHOPLINE Admin will stay as unverified. For the actual status of the verification, please check the current status of your domain in Facebook Business Manager.
- FBE currently only supports automatic verification for SHOPLINE domains. If you wish to verify a non-SHOPLINE domain or subdomain, you will need to do so manually in Facebook Business Manager. Merchants will only be able to take out ads after a domain/subdomain has been verified.
- In order to install or unlink FBE, the Facebook account your browser is currently logged in to must have FBE-related access permissions enabled in Facebook Business Manager. For more information on how to grant these permissions, please refer to this FAQ section.
- Any existing Facebook Pixels installed by FBE will be removed if FBE is unlinked. To minimize disruption, ensure that FBE is either quickly reinstalled, or that you do not have any Facebook Dynamic Ads currently running. For more details, please see this FAQ section.
- Facebook Business Extension
- Verify Google Search Console and Submit Sitemap
- Verify Bing Webmaster Tool and Submit Sitemap