What is Stripe?
Stripe is an American technology company that allows both private individuals and businesses to receive payments over the Internet.
To use Stripe to collect payment in your shop, you will need to apply for a Stripe account and complete the settings in Settings > Payment Options. After setting up Stripe as a payment option in SHOPLINE, your customers will be able to pay on the checkout page in your shop directly, without needing to redirect to another payment page.
Before you set up Stripe as a payment method, please note:
- When you apply for Stripe account, it requires your bank account information. The bank account must be located in the country where your settlement currency is based. For example, if you apply for a Singapore Stripe account, you will then need to link a Singapore bank account.
- Transaction fees for Singapore Stripe account: 3.4% + SGD 0.50 per successful card charge.
*Fees may differ from time to time.
For the latest transaction fees, please visit: https://stripe.com/en-sg/pricing
Cards supported by Stripe
Cards from the following providers are supported for use with Stripe: Visa, Mastercard, American Express.
Step 1: Add Payment Option
In SHOPLINE Admin go to [Settings] > [Payment Options] and then click [Add] in the top right-hand side.
Step 2: Set up Credit Card via Stripe payment method
Select "Credit Card via Stripe" from the "Payment Type" dropdown menu.
Step 3: Log in/set up Stripe account
After clicking [Activate] you will be redirected to Stripe setup page.
- For new users, please fill in your email address and create a Stripe account
- If you already have a Stripe account, enter your email address and log in to your Stripe account
- For existing Stripe users, select the account you would like to integrate with, or create a new account.
- For a new users and existing users who want to create a new account, fill in the information accordingly.
*For new Stripe users, please log in to your Stripe account at www.stripe.com and verify your account before proceeding to the next step.
Step 4: 3D Secure
You will be redirected back to SHOPLINE Admin after authorization.
Here you will see the system has updated the payment method with Stripe's secret key & publishable key. 3D secure should already be enabled. If it is not, please turn it on.
After enabling 3D secure successfully, customers will be directed to the bank's 3D secure page when they proceed to checkout. Customers will need to pass 3D secure verification to complete the payment.
If the credit card used for checkout does not support 3D secure, the payment will be completed without 3D secure authorization. In this case, customers will go through the normal credit card checkout process.
**Please note that the "Publishable Key" field is required to enable 3D secure.
If your "Publishable Key" field is empty, please unpublish the existing Stripe payment option and create a new payment option for Stripe. The set of Stripe's secret key & publishable key will be added automatically when your Stripe account is reconnected.
Step 5: Publish Credit Card via Stripe Payment Option
When you have completed the settings, please click [Update]. Although Stripe payment option has been added, it will not currently be visible for your store.
Return SHOPLINE Admin. Go to [Settings] > [Payment Options]. Click [Publish] to make this payment method visible on your store.
If you want to pass your payment transaction fees to your customers, please refer to our FAQ: Payment Fee Setting
Transfer money from your Stripe account to your bank account, please refer to Stripe Payout
- You must verify the email address that you have used to register for Stripe account in order to receive payments. You can do this using the verification email sent to your inbox.
- If you have changed the domain for your store after you have registered your Stripe account (e.g: change from aaa.shoplineapp.com to bbb.shoplineapp.com), you must also update the domain in your Stripe account settings.
To update the website in Stripe account, log in to your Stripe account and click on [Settings]. Go to [Business settings] then click on [Your business] > [Account information].
Update the website at Business website column. Click on the Save button at the bottom right-hand corner on the page after you updated the website.
Stripe processing fees and taxes cannot be refunded.
The total transaction amount is SGD 5.30.
Stripe will charge 3.4% + SGD 0.50 as a transaction fee per successful card charge.
(SGD 5.30 x 3.4%) + SGD 0.50 ≈ SGD 0.68
SGD 0.68 x 7% ≈ SGD 0.05
The total fee for this transaction will be SGD 0.68 + SGD 0.05 = SGD 0.73 and this fee will not be refunded. If you decide to cancel this transaction and refund your customer, the customer will receive a full refund (which is SGD 5.30). The refunded amount will be deducted from Stripe [Balance].