"Product Feed Data" settings allow to fill in the "Product Information" and "Product Type" for your products. You can exclude products from advertising catalogs and platforms. The product feed data helps you to target your ads' audience more accurately, helping to drive better results from Google and Facebook ads.
*Product Feed Data is optional. You do not need to fill it in if the product does not have such information.
In this article, we will introduce the following topics:
1. Unique Product Identifiers (UPI)
- Unique product identifiers define the product you're selling in the global marketplace. They uniquely distinguish products you are selling and help match search queries with your offers. Unique product identifiers are assigned to each product by the manufacturer, so if you sell the same product as another retailer, the UPIs will be identical.
- Common unique product identifiers include "Global Trade Item Numbers" (GTINs), "Manufacturer Part Numbers" (MPNs), and "Brand". Not all products have unique product identifiers. However, if your product does have one, especially a GTIN, providing it can help make your ads richer and easier for users to find. If your product doesn't have a UPI, you can ignore this field.
i. What is the Manufacturer Part Number (MPN)?
A Manufacturer Part Number (MPN) is used to uniquely identify a specific product among all products from the same manufacturer. Users might search Google Shopping specifically for an MPN, so providing the MPN can help to ensure that your product is shown in relevant situations.
A product does not have an MPN if the product doesn't have a clearly associated MPN or is a custom-made product (e.g. artwork, custom t-shirts, novelty products, and handmade products).
ii. What is the Global Trade Item Number (GTIN)?
Global Trade Item Number (GTIN) is a standardized universal code for products. Every product should have a GTIN. Several Different types of ID numbers are considered a GTIN. You may refer to this article for more details. The GTIN could normally be found on the product packing or under the scanning barcode, as shown below:
2. Step-by-step setup
Step 1. Find the "Product Feed Data" type
In SHOPLINE Admin, go to [Products & Categories] > [Products]. Click the Edit button next to a product and go to the Product Feed Data tab.
Step 2. Fill in the product information
You can enter the "Brand", "Manufacturer Part Number (MPN)", "Barcode", "Color", "Size" and "Material" for a product.
*All these fields are optional. If your product does not have this information, please leave these fields blank.
*For "Color", "Size" and "Material", Please fill in according to the language of your Ads.
- Brand: Enter the brand of the product. If no brand is entered, the brand will be automatically set as your shop name.
- Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): You may refer to the above part "1. Unique Product Identifiers (UPI)" to fill in the information. If your products do not have an MPN, you may skip this field.
- Barcode: Fill in the barcode number of your product.
If your product has variations, the options will be listed and you can fill in "Manufacturer Part Number (MPN)", "Barcode", "Color", "Size" and "Material" separately for each option. For example, if your product has a custom variation, e.g. the variation name is "Pattern" and the options are "Checked" and "Striped", you will see that the options are listed accordingly as below:
Step 3. Exclude this product to channel
You can exclude the products from the product feed of a specific channel. For example, if you do not want the product to be found in your Google product feed, you may check "Google" to exclude it.
Note: Exclusion of Facebook channels is not currently supported.
Step 4. Product Type
Product type gives Google and Facebook more information about the product. It helps you to target the audience of the ad more accurately to enhance the performance of your ads.
You can enter the gender and age group of the audience you wish to target for the product. Also, you can provide information such as whether it is product for adults, the Google/Facebook category, etc.
[Coming soon] Google third-tier product layer
To improve the accuracy of ad placements, it is recommended that you select a third-tier Google product layer. Once you have selected a third-tier category, click on the Update button in the bottom right-hand corner to save your changes. Because of Google Merchant Center rules, alcoholic beverages must have a third-tier product layer.
In order for an ad to be reviewed and approved successfully by Google, please use the category settings below:
- Food, Beverages & Tobacco > Beverages > Alcoholic Beverages
- Arts & Entertainment > Hobbies & Creative Arts > Homebrewing & Winemaking Supplies
*Please follow the laws and regulations of each country/region for saleable products.
If you select a Google Product Category with only two tiers, the third-tier dropdown menu will not be shown. For example: Luggage & Bags > Backpacks.
*Note: If you have set up your own third-tier category for a product, SHOPLINE will only send information regarding the first two tiers to Google Merchant Center and any other CRM partners you are working with.
i. How to bulk import/update the Product Feed Data
Now you could only bulk import the "barcode" and bulk update the "MPN" and "barcode" of your products. The other data you need to set up in your product setting page individually and remember to save the data after editing.
ii. I have excluded products in Google — why they are still in the Google Feed?
Google Product Catalog/Feed updates about every 6–12 hours. If you update and save your latest product feed data, please wait for a moment to let the feed synchronize the data again.
iii. What is the benefit of adding Product Feed Data?
"Product Feed Data" will synchronize your product information according to Facebook and Google Ads. Enriching and adding your product feed data would help the ads platform identify your products and categories more appropriately, enhance the accuracy of reaching your advertisement audience. Advise that you could add your product feed data for each product according to your products and ads platform policy.