Besides integrating Facebook assets and products, you can also use "Messenger Chat" features with the new Facebook Business Extension (FBE).
Once you have enabled the Messenger Chat, customers can contact you through the Facebook Messenger icon at the bottom right of your shop. One-on-one instant communication can improve the interaction between you and customers and increase brand loyalty.
*Before you start, please follow the Facebook Business Extension to complete the installation.
*Facebook plugins will cater differently to different fan pages and account statuses. To add a new Facebook/ Instagram Shop feature, you can refer to this FAQ: Facebook Page Shop | Facebook Business Extension.
In this article, you'll find:
1. Enable Messenger Chat
*Note: It is suggested that log in to the same Facebook account that you use to install FBE to enable the Messenger Chat.
Facebook Messenger provides a Customer Chat Plugin to interact with your customers for instant messages and communication.
Step 1. Start Setting
Go to [Marketing & Tracker] > [Marketing]. Then click Manage settings.
[Coming Soon] New Facebook integration page
On the new page by going to [Channel Integration] > [Facebook]. In the "Online Store Application" tab, click Install next to "Customer negotiation plug-in".
There will be a Facebook pop-up window; please click Add for Messenger Chat in "Connection Settings".
Step 2. Add Customer Chat Plugin
Please read the instruction and click Add Plugin.
Step 3. Setup Messaging Plugin
You can set up the language, greeting messages, and appearance color in Messaging Plugin. Click Next to continue.
Step 4. Add Website Domain Name
You need to add your website domain link here; if you are using the custom domain, please fill in https://your.custom.domain; if you are using the free domain, please fill in https://xxxxx.shoplineapp.com. For Example,
- If you use the custom domain, e.g. www.test123.com or shop.test123.com.tw,
please fill in https://www.test123.com or https://shop.test123.com.tw.
- If you use the free domain, e.g. https://test456.shoplineapp.com,
please fill in https://test456.shoplineapp.com
Once you have added your domain, click Add button. Your website will appear in blue boxes above the field box. Then please click Done and close the pop-up, refresh your Admin and storefront to finish the plugin installation.
Step 5. Complete installation
On the homepage of the FBE, the "Added" status will appear under "Chat with Customers on Your Website".
The Facebook Messenger will show up at your storefront at the bottom right.
Customers can choose to visit as guests or use their Facebook accounts to leave a message. If the browser used by the customer is already logged into Facebook, the system will detect this and automatically use the Facebook accounts to log in.
2. Enable/disable Messenger "Guest mode"
Starting from August 2020, people can start chatting via the Messenger Chat Plugin in the Guest mode without logging into their Facebook accounts. This allows more users to connect with you more seamlessly.
For more information about Guest Mode, please refer to Facebook Chat Plugin.
If you would like to enable or disable the "Messenger Guest Mode", you could go to the Facebook Page and go to [Page Settings] > [Messaging]. Then click the Get Started next to "Add Messenger to your website".
Alternatively, you can also go to the Inbox of your connected Page, click the gear icon at the top right, and select View all settings.
Click the drop-down arrow next to "Customize your Chat Plugin".
You can switch the toggle on/off in the "Guest Chat" field. Once you are finished, click Publish to complete the process.
i. Does FBE support Facebook Messenger Chat and Page Shop to all merchants?
Yes. This feature supports all plans to enable FBE, Page Shop, and Messenger Chat.
ii. Why isn't Facebook Messenger Chat showing up at the storefront after I have added this feature?
If you found that the Messenger Chat didn't show after you added the function, please follow the below steps to check the settings:
(1) Please log in to your Facebook account the same as the one you set FBE, and go to your [Facebook Page Settings] > [Page Roles] and make sure you have admin access.
(2) Go to [Facebook Page Settings] > [General] to make sure the Page is "Published" in Page Visibility and to "Everyone" without Country or Age Restrictions.
(3) Once you confirm the page is published, please go to the SHOPLINE Admin panel in [Marketing & Tracker] > [Marketing] > Manage settings, add the website domain name in Messaging Plugin.
(4) Once confirmed, please close the pop-up window of "Manage Settings" and refresh the page; your Messenger Chat will be shown at the storefront.
(5) If you have already installed as above, yet there is still no "Installed" display, please reopen the "Manage settings" page to check if the information above was saved. Once you have finished checking, close the window to let Facebook update the information.
iii. Why does the previously installed Messenger plugin appear "Uninstalled"?
To maintain the authorization and security of Facebook assets, if any shop administrator edits or updates the asset or reinstalls the Facebook extension, Facebook will shut off Messenger first by default. To solve the situation, please assign an Admin or Editor who has the access to the Page and extension to reinstall the plugin following Note 2 from above.