What is Stripe?
Stripe is an American technology company that allows both private individuals and businesses to receive payments over the Internet.
To use Stripe to collect payment in your shop, you will need to apply for a Stripe account and complete the settings in Settings > Payment Options. After setting up Stripe as a payment option in SHOPLINE, your customers will be able to pay on the checkout page in your shop directly, without needing to redirect to another payment page.
Before you setup Stripe as a payment method, please note:
1. When you apply for Stripe account, it requires your bank account information. The bank account must be located in the country where your settlement currency is based. For an example, if you apply for a Malaysia Stripe account, you will then need to link a Malaysia bank account .
2. Transaction fees for Malaysia Stripe account: 3% + MYR 1.00 per successful transaction. *fees may differ from time to time*
For latest transaction fees, please visit: https://stripe.com/my/pricing
Types of credit cards Stripe support
VISA／MASTERCARD / AMEX
This article contains the following:
- Stripe Settings
- Important Notes
- Stripe transaction fee calculation method and Refund Instructions
- About Refund
Step 1 : Add Payment Option
"Settings" > "Payment Options" > Press "Add" button
Step 2 : Set up Credit card via Stripe payment method
Select "Credit Card via Stripe" as the payment type
Click "Activate" to start
Step 3 : Log in/ Set up Stripe account
You will be directed to Stripe setup page.
- For new user, please fill in your email address and create a Stripe account
- If you already have a Stripe account, insert your email address and login to your Stripe account
- For existing Stripe user, select the account you would like to integrate with. Or, create a new account.
For new user or existing user created a new account, fill in your information accordingly
*For new Stripe users, kindly login to your Stripe account (www.stripe.com) and verify your account before you proceed to next step.
Step 4 : 3D Secure
You will be redirected back to SHOPLINE admin panel after authorization.
Here you will see the system has updated the payment method with Stripe's secret key & Publishable key. Also, 3D secure is enabled. If it is not, please turn it on.
After enabling 3D secure successfully, your customers will be directed to the bank's 3D secure page when they proceed to checkout. Customers should pass 3D secure verification to complete the payment.
- If the credit card used for checkout does not support 3D secure, the payment will be completed without 3D secure authorization. In this case, customers will go through the normal credit card checkout process.
- Please note that the "Publishable Key" field is required to enable 3D secure.
- If your "Publishable Key" field is empty, please unpublish the existing Stripe payment option and create a new payment option for Stripe. The set of Stripe's secret key & Publishable key will be added automatically when your Stripe account is reconnected.
Step 5 : Publish Credit Card via Stripe Payment Option
When you have completed the settings, please click "Update". Although Stripe payment option has been added, it is currently not visible in your store.
Go back to SHOPLINE admin panel > "Settings" > "Payment Options" > Click "Publish" to make this payment method visible in your store
If you want to pass your payment transaction fees to your customers, please refer to our FAQ: Payment Fee Setting
Transfer money from your Stripe account to your bank account, please refer to: Stripe Payout
- Please be informed to VERIFY the email that you have used to register for Stripe account through your email mailbox. If fail to do so, you will not be able to receive payment.
- If you did change the Shop Website (Domain) after you had done the register for Stripe account (e.g: change from aaa.shoplineapp.com to bbb.shoplineapp.com) , please be informed to also UPDATE the website in your Stripe account.
To update the website in Stripe account: Once you log into Stripe account, Click on Settings. In Business settings, click on Your business, Account information:
Update the website at Business website column. Click on the Save button at the bottom right corner on the page after you updated the website.
Stripe transaction fee calculation method and Refund Instructions
Transaction fee calculation example:
Stripe processing fees and Tax fees cannot be refunded.
The total transaction amount is RM 5.30.
- Stripe will charge: 3% + RM 1.00 as a transaction fee for every successful transaction.
(RM 5.30 x 3%) + RM 1.00 = RM 1.16
- 6% SST
RM 1.16 x 6% = RM 0.07
The total fee for this transaction will be RM 1.16 + RM 0.07 = RM 1.23 and this fee will not be refunded. If you decided to cancel this transaction and refund to your customer, the customer will receive a full refund (which is RM 5.30). The refunded amount will be deducted from Stripe [Balance].